An Epsom Salt is a popular and affordable remedy to ease a lot of ailments. There are a lot of uses and benefits that we get from Epsom Salt. There are also a lot of ways on how we can associate epsom salt in our daily routine. In this article let us try to tackle more of its uses and benefits.
What is an Epsom Salt
Epsom salt was originally discovered and named after the town of Epsom in Surrey, England. It is made up of magnesium, sulfur, and oxygen and it is also known as magnesium sulfate. Despite its name, Epsom salt is a completely different compound than table salt. It was most likely termed “salt” because of its chemical structure.It has an appearance similar to table salt and is often dissolved in baths, which is why you may also know it as “bath salt.” While it looks similar to table salt, its taste is distinctly different. Epsom salt is quite bitter and unpalatable.For hundreds of years, this salt has been used to treat ailments, such as constipation, insomnia, and fibromyalgia. Unfortunately, its effects on these conditions are not well researched.Most of the reported benefits of Epsom salt are attributed to its magnesium, a mineral that a lot of people do not get enough of. You can find Epsom salt online and at most drug and grocery stores. It’s typically located in the pharmacy or cosmetic area.
Different uses of Epsom Salt
Epsom Salt Bath - this is the most common use of epsom salt as it can not be ingested by those with high blood pressure or kidney problems. Here are some benefits you can get from Epsom Salt Bath:
- Soothes the skin - it soothes dry skin and other skin conditions caused by dryness like eczema and psoriasis.
Reduce soreness and pain - Low levels of magnesium can ease the pain in people with arthritis. Epsom salt contains magnesium and may help the body get rid of toxins responsible for exacerbating inflammation while also reducing swelling, stiffness, and pain.
Reduce stress - magnesium present in epsom salts can help produce neurotransmitters which promotes quality sleep and reduces stress.
- Promotes foot health - Epsom salt may help treat athlete’s foot and ingrown toenail infections. A person can bathe in a tub with Epsom salt water or soak feet in warm water and Epsom salt to help feet heal faster and relieve itching.
- Draw out splinters - Epsom salt may help treat athlete’s foot and ingrown toenail infections. A person can bathe in a tub with Epsom salt water or soak feet in warm water and Epsom salt to help feet heal faster and relieve itching.
- Drinking Epsom Salt - taking epsom salt orally has one major benefit which is to ease out constipation. The best way to ingest it is to add it to a glass full water and adding in a lemon to add flavor. Other than that it is not recommended for those with high blood pressure, kidney conditions and heart problems.
Is Epsom salt the same as table salt?
Epsom salt is unlike table salt as it tastes bitter and is not a suitable ingredient for cooking. People use Epsom salt for its supposed healing and detoxifying properties.
- Epsom Salt Bath
- Add 2 cups of epsom salt when running a regular size bath tub
- Temperatures between 92°F and 100°F (33°C and 37°C) are ideal.
- Soak in the water for 12-20 minutes
- Take at least an hour rest before the detox bath and take it before bedtime
- Avoid using soaps when doing the detox bath
- Drinking Epsom Salt
- For Adults take 2-6 teaspoons dissolved in water and 1-2 teaspoons dissolved in water for children.
- Drink plenty of water throughout the day
Recommended essential oils to use to enhance its benefits
When doing Epsom Salt Bath it is best to mix it with essential oils to maximize its benefits. Here are the recommended oils:
Essential oil needs to be diluted before being applied to skin, and so it is best to dilute it with a carrier oil before bathing.A mixture of 3 to 5 drops of essential oil per ½ to 1 ounce of carrier oil is usual. Carrier oils can be sweet almond oil, coconut oil, or even olive oil. A little essential oil goes a long way, so it is important to add only a few drops of the diluted oil into a full bath.
Epsom salts main component is magnesium which is beneficial to ease numerous ailments especially with the skin.It can used for detox bath to remedy skin conditions mixed with essential oils to enhance its benefits. It can also be added to the drinking water as laxative. Although claims are limited many has experienced its detoxifying effects and helps with inflammation.